Your PCP’s Role
Your primary care physician is your go-to doctor for everything related to your health – from getting annual physicals to getting an immunization before flu season. The PCP you choose will be the doctor you’ll visit for most of your care and with whom you’ll discuss your health concerns and questions. Your PCP will handle:
- Routine care, like regular physical exams and health-screening tests.
- Care for non-emergency problems, like a cough that isn’t getting better or a minor injury.
- Referral decisions. If your PCP thinks you need to see a specialist (for example, a cardiologist or neurologist) or have a diagnostic procedure, he or she will request a referral.
- Management of chronic conditions, like diabetes, high blood pressure, or acid reflux.
- Care coordination if you develop complicated medical problems, need to see multiple specialists, or are hospitalized. In these situations, your PCP will be part of a care team that will make sure everyone is working together to provide the care you need, when you need it.
PCPs play a huge role in keeping you healthy for the long run. If you don't already have a relationship with a PCP, you can select one today. Find a Doctor...
How to Select a Hill PCP
One of the most important health care decisions you will make is selecting your primary care physician. This is your health care partner and central coordinator for everything pertaining to your overall health.
The process for choosing your primary care physician is simple.
During your employer’s open enrollment period or when joining a new insurance plan:
- Select one of our partner Health Plans
- Choose your Hill Physicians Primary Care doctor
- Fill in your enrollment form "Medical Group selection" - or - let our Customer Service Team assist you in contacting your health plan with you.
To change your medical group anytime outside of open enrollment, call your health plan’s customer service number listed on the back of your insurance card.
Tips on Selecting a PCP
It’s important to find a primary care provider you trust, and who you feel comfortable talking to and working with. Here are five helpful hints when choosing a doctor:
- Use our Physician Directory search tool. Get to know our doctors by reading their profiles. You’ll learn a little about them, their specialties and their approach so you can choose the one who’s right for you. You can also search our doctors by specialty and location to find one who fits your needs.
- Make sure your insurance includes Hill Physicians doctors. To help save you time, review the list of insurance plans many of our physicians accept.
- Ask people you trust who their doctor is. Talk to your family, friends and colleagues. Who is their primary care doctor? How did they choose? Are they happy?
- Check that the doctor can meet your needs. Do you and your family need a doctor who speaks another language? Do you need someone who can see you outside normal office hours? Consider your needs and find a doctor who can provide them.